Hospital, Y Introducing Monthly Health Programs for 2012
After this year’s annual Partners in Health community health fair on October 22, Mercy Memorial Hospital and the Champaign Family YMCA will introduce a new approach to helping local citizens adopt healthy lifestyles.
In 2012, the hospital and Y will team up to offer monthly health awareness programs that will address a variety of targeted health topics. Some will be specific to women, men or children, while others will be geared to general audiences. The monthly series will replace the annual health fair, although one of the monthly sessions, to be held in June, will offer health screenings for the public.
“With our new monthly health awareness series, Mercy Memorial Hospital and the Y look forward to expanding on the positive impact the annual health fair has made on the health and wellness of our community,” said Jeanne Bowman, administrator of Mercy Memorial Hospital.
“The monthly format will give us the opportunity to stay connected with members of the community throughout the year, offering more in-depth health information they can put into practice to improve their and their families’ lives,” added Kathy Finney, executive director of the Champaign Family YMCA, added.
Examples of topics to be covered include fitness, women’s heart health, men’s health awareness, healthful eating, back-to-school safety, diabetes and mental health. The series also will include Healthy Kids Day, an annual event coordinated by Activate Champaign County for children and their families at Urbana University. Healthy Kids Day will be held 9 a.m. to noon Saturday, April 14.
Dates and times for the other monthly programs will be announced.
The October 22 health fair, 9 a.m. to noon at the Champaign Family YMCA, 191 Community Drive, Urbana, will feature health screenings and health and wellness information provided by more than 45 organizations.
The Champaign Health District will offer flu shots for $20, and Community Mercy Occupational Health & Medicine will offer a total, HDL and LDL cholesterol, triglycerides, blood sugar and risk ratio screening for $20 (requires fasting 12 hours prior).
Free screenings and services include:
· ADHD & depression screenings: Transitions Professional Counseling
· Ambulance tours: Urbana Fire Department
· Blood oxygen level: Community Mercy Home Medical Equipment
· Blood pressure: Heartland of Urbana
· Body mass index (BMI) measurements: Champaign Family YMCA
· Chair massage: Professional Alternative Therapies
· Foot check, blood pressure, blood sugar: Springfield Regional Wound Care Center
· Hearing screenings: Miracle Ear
· Ident-A-Kid child identification cards: Champaign County Sheriff’s Office
· Massage: Donay Life & Wellness Center
· Pulse oximetry and blood pressure: Universal Home Health & Hospice Care
· Sleep apnea screening: Springfield Regional Sleep Center
· Spinal scan: Sertell Chiropractic Clinic
· Wet foot test: Big Orange Shoe Shop. Simple test helps determine most appropriate athletic shoe based on foot arch
In addition, health fair guests will be able to participate in 15-minute demonstrations of Champaign Family YMCA fitness classes.
For more information, call the Champaign Family YMCA, 653-9622.